Vermont Ecumenical Council: A Network of Christian Cooperation
We are a diverse network of Christians in Vermont working together to serve the common good through public worship and prayer; acts of mercy and care; and loving prophetic witness for peace, justice, and the integrity of creation.
Purpose: We carry out this mission by:
- Witnessing the Gospel message of loving God and our neighbor through our action, prayer, and worship.
- Facilitating communication among the wider Christian community in Vermont.
- Fostering cooperation among Christians in Vermont.
- Building an active, diverse membership within this network.
- Encouraging the formation of various ministry partnerships.
- Collaborating with the larger faith community and secular society.
Organizational Structure – The Network will adhere to an organic development process of building and strengthening relationships.
Membership will be in 4 categories:
(1) State-wide denominations/institutions,
(2) Individual churches without State-wide denominational affiliation,
(3) Independent Christian organizations with ministries in Vermont,
(4) Individual Christians not affiliated with a member in other categories.
Leadership – Coordinating Team: One representative of each member Christian denomination; one representative of each individual member Christian church without denominational affiliation; one representative of each independent Christian member organization; up to five individual Christians members not affiliated with other categories.
- Establish criteria for forming a partnership.
- Establish guidelines for network statements and other communications.
- Hire and supervise staff, and manage the budget.
- Oversee general administrative functions;
- Convene an annual Network gathering.
- Make decisions by consensus.